Becoming a Member
Do you want to become a member?
We welcome all, age fourteen or older, in membership at First Universalist Church. Choosing membership is a spiritual act. As a non-creedal religious community, members are not required to profess certain beliefs in order to be welcomed into our religious community. Rather, membership asks us to choose a spiritual path and walk it with courage and care. We make a commitment to the principles and purposes of this church, and a covenant with this community of faith.
How do I become a Member?
- Attend Sunday services at 9:30 or 11:15 a.m.
- Attend First Step - a 30-minute orientation to First Universalist and Unitarian Universalism, typically held after each service on the first and third Sundays of the month.
- Attend a 4-hour Pathways to Membership class. (See below for details.)
- Fill out a Membership Application, including a Financial Pledge Card.
- Participate in the New Member Welcome Ceremony (held quarterly).
Privileges of Membership
- Use the church for weddings, celebrations, and memorial services
- Become part of our network of congregational care
- Participate and vote on congregational issues (calling ministers, special resolutions, etc.)
- Serve in positions of leadership and/or as a member of the Board of Trustees
Responsibilities of Membership
- Commit to the principles and purposes of First Universalist Church
- Attend Sunday services regularly
- Participate in the democratic governance of the congregation
- Make an annual financial pledge contribution
- Volunteer your gifts to the church – serve on a Welcome Team or teach Religious Education once per month
Members who cease to make an annual recordable financial contribution to the church will be removed from membership. A member may resign by sending a written resignation request to the office.
First Step is a brief overview of what our community has to offer. This session is especially for visitors and newcomers. This orientation is typically held the first and third Sunday of every month following each service. No sign up is necessary. We'll talk about Unitarian Universalism, help you get acquainted to this community and all it has to offer, and help you take the next step in exploring Unitarian Universalism and First Universalist Church. To reserve childcare, email Emma: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pathways to Membership
This is a class for those new to Unitarian Universalism and/or First Universalist Church, and is a requirement for those who wish to become members. Led by the Director of Congregational Life, participants learn about Unitarian Universalism and First Universalist Church’s history, share personal spiritual journeys, and discuss ways to become engaged in the life of the church. This class is offered several times a year. Register by emailing or calling Sandy in the church office. Next class: TBA. Free childcare is available upon request.